St. James Catholic Church Welcomes You!
REGULAR WEEKEND MASSES (Resume Sept 4)
Sunday 10 am & 12 Noon
Tuesday thru Friday 9am
First Saturday of the Month 9am
* * *
SigVisit www.catholicyyc.ca for important messages and for live-streamed Mass Schedules from the RC Diocese of Calgary; or watch televised Masses on Salt + Light TV, Vision TV, or EWTN
Stay Informed. Read the Parish Bulletin!
St. James Catholic Church – Historic Site
St. James Catholic Church is valued as an example of new interconnected design as a result of the church’s embrace of modernism and Roman Catholic Church reforms from 1962 to 1965. Typically, traditional church plans have separate buildings for each function. St. James is a modern expression of the traditional church model, incorporating the separate functions of a church into one interconnected building (Design value – City-wide significance).
St. James Catholic Church is also highly valued as an excellent example of Expressionist-style architecture with its sweeping raw and ribbed concrete steeple with punctured cruciform and raised copper oculus. It is a rare and intact example in Calgary (Style value – City-wide significance).
St. James Catholic Church is valued symbolically as a key building in the North Glenmore Park neighbourhood that contributes to its development as a complete community (Symbolic value – Community significance).
The church is valued as a landmark in the community for its Expressionist-style architecture and connection to the North Glenmore Park neighbourhood (Landmark value – Community Significance).
Read more on: Inventory of Evaluated Historic Resources (calgary.ca)
List of Summer Retreats – Live In
- Catholic Family Life Conference for family (June 29 – Jul 3) – Lac Ste Anne, AB
- Soul Care Retreat for Men (July 18 – 20) – Mount St. Francis
- Lac Ste Anne Pilgrimage (July 21-27) – Lac Ste Anne, AB
- Learn to Keep Walking Retreat (July 23 – 30) – Mount St. Francis
- Soul Care Retreat for Women (Aug 8 – 10) – Mount St. Francis
- Summer Silent Directed Retreat (Aug 11 – 19) – FCJ Retreat Centre
- Women’s Weekend Retreat (Aug 11-13) – Mount St. Francis
- Weekend Silent Directed Retreat (Aug 11-13) – FCJ Centre
- Always Our Children (Aug 18-20) – Aspen Ranch Outdoor Centre, Clearwater County, AB
- Blessing of the Good Road Week Retreat (Aug 21-27) – Mount St. Francis
Live Your Life to the Fullest | July 8
Divine Mercy Sisters invite you to a day of outdoor conference! There will be Mass, talks, opportunity for confessions, and candlelight Adoration with inspirational hymns led by the Sisters of Divine Mercy. When: Sat, July 8 from 10:30 am to 4 pm, Divine Mercy Centre.
Always Our Children | Aug 18-20
The Courage & Encourage Apostolate of the Diocese will be hosting an “Encourage Weekend Camping Retreat” entitled: “Always Our Children” for parents, friends or anyone journeying with children or someone they know, experiencing their sexuality as same gender attraction.
This weekend retreat is meant to provide a safe space for prayer, reflection, mediation and dialogue surrounded by the natural beauty and tranquility of the eastern slopes of the Rockies at Aspen Ranch Outdoor Education Centre, just over an hour north of Calgary. When: Friday, Aug. 18 to Sunday, Aug. 20, 2023. Register by Friday July 7, 2023. For more information or to register, contact: email@example.com
Reminder: Together in Action (TIA) 2023
The 2023 Together in Action campaign began on Ash Wednesday, February 22, 2023. The theme for this year’s Together in Action is taken from 1 John 3:18, “Let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action.” Resources for the annual diocesan campaign is now available at catholicyyc.ca/TIA
The theme for this year’s Together in Action is taken from 1 John 3:18, “Let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action.”
- Sunday Bulletin shorts, free to use
If last Sunday’s discourse contained practical instructions, this Sunday’s passage focuses on the inner attitudes required of those who are sent out in mission of the Good News. The threefold reference to fear indicates that there certainly was fear among the disciples that this whole divine adventure would be for naught, that worldly powers would kill it before it had a chance to flourish. However, once fear has been conquered, courageous witnessing follows, and Jesus himself will intercede before God for all disciples in all time and place.
- Sunday Bulletin shorts, free to use
- When are you afraid to proclaim your faith in Jesus?
- What are the most consoling messages in today’s Gospel for you?
- What part of the reading do you find most difficult?
(Source: Diocese of Saskatoon)
- Resources for children
- Kid’s challenge this week: Try count the number of hairs on your head, and you can quit when you reach 100. How much of your head do the 100 strands cover? Jesus tells us that the Father knows the number of hairs on our heads. What does that mean to you? Jesus tells us to not be afraid to proclaim the kingdom of heaven. Write in a paper what make you afraid, or for other things you need God’s help with. After each need is read, pray together, “God, we trust you because you know us so well.” Conclude by praying the Glory Be to the Father. (Loyola Press)
- Colouring page this Sunday
- Kid’s Bulletin this Sunday
- Sunday Connection this Sunday (Gr. 1-8)
- Children’s Liturgy of the Word this Sunday
- Cemetery Masses with the Bishop
Bishop McGrattan will celebrate Masses for the souls of the deceased buried at our Catholic cemeteries in Calgary and area. All are welcome!
- Wednesday, August 23, 2023, 7 pm at Mountain View Funeral Chapel (indoor)
- Wednesday, August 30, 2023, 7 pm at Queen’s Park Cemetery (outdoor)
- Thursday, August 31, 2023, 7 pm at St. Mary’s Cemetery (outdoor)
- Wanted: Part-time Administrative Assistant for Our Lady of the Rockies in Canmore | Our Lady of the Rockies parish is currently seeking a qualified individual to join their team as a part-time Administrative Assistant. The ideal candidate will possess strong people skills, exceptional organizational abilities, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and great attention to detail. The position offers a competitive benefits package and opportunities for employee development. If you or someone you know might be interested in this opportunity, please share this information with them. Interested applicants should submit their resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Many opportunities to help Elizabeth House
Elizabeth House is a life skills program and family-oriented home which welcomes at-risk pregnant and parenting women who need a safe place to live. Help Elizabeth House as volunteers in the following positions: Child care team; Fundraising Lead; Facility Maintenance (carpentry, handyfolks, renovation); and Marketing & Communications lead. More information at elizabethhousecalgary.ca
- Wanted: Treasurer position for St. Vincent de Paul
St. Vincent de Paul is currently seeking a dedicated individual to fill a volunteer position as Treasurer for their organization in Calgary. This role is essential in assisting with the governance of St. Vincent de Paul and ensuring its continued success. Click here for more information about the position or email email@example.com for more information.
- An Evening with Mary – June 27
St. Luke’s Parish invites you to an evening of prayer and song with singer Eswina Ngai and a talk by Fr. Troy Nguyen, taking a look at the life and death of Jesus through the eyes of His Mother. Cost: Love offering, proceeds to St. Luke’s Feed the Hungry Ministry. When: Tuesday, June 27 after 7 pm Mass at St. Luke’s (1566 Northmount Dr. NW, Calgary). More info
- Live Your Life to the Fullest – July 8
Divine Mercy Sisters invite you to a day of conference outdoors! There will be Mass, talks, opportunity for confession, and candlelight Adoration with inspirational hymns. When: Sat, July 8 from 10:30 am to 4 pm, Divine Mercy Centre | Register now
- Always Our Children – Aug 18-20
A camping retreat entitled: “Always Our Children” for parents, friends or anyone journeying with children or someone they know, experiencing their sexuality as same gender attraction. When: Fri, Aug. 18 to 20 – Aspen Ranch Outdoor Education Centre. More info or register
- The Great Big Beautiful World – Vacation Bible School – Aug 22-25
Four-day, half-day Vacation Bible School for ages 7-11 with the theme “Great Big Beautiful World: Creation Care Kids – Living Laudato Si’.” Through five Bible stories, children will be led on an awesome adventure through the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation. Each day starts with relationship-building, joint worship, music, prayer, and a dramatic presentation of the Bible story. This program is enthusiastically Catholic and grounded in the Catholic teachings on creation and the Holy Father’s encyclical. When: Aug 22-25, 2023 at FCJ Centre. Register here
- Summer 2023 Calendar Highlights
- June 27 | An Evening with Mary – St. Luke’s, Calgary
- June 29 – July 3 | Family Life Conference, Lac Ste Anne
- July – Aug | Our Lady of Victory Camp – Gull Lake, AB
- July 3 | Full Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius – FCJ
- July 8 | His Building – 6th Annual Charity Golf Tournament for Sacred Heart Church in Strathmore – Strathmore Golf Club
- July 8 | Live Your Life to the Fullest – Divine Mercy Centre
- July 18 – 20 | Soul Care Retreat for Men – Mount St. Francis
- July 18-20 | Ignite Junior AB – St. Michael’s, Calgary
- July 18-21 | Ignite AB – St. Michael’s Calgary
- July 21-27 | Lac Ste Anne Pilgrimage – Lac Ste Anne, AB
- July 22 | Brother Sun – Sister Moon – Mount St. Francis
- July 23 – 30 | Learn to Keep Walking Retreat – Mount St. Francis
- July 23 | Conversation Cafe – dementia-friendly social – FCJ
- Aug 8 – 10 | Soul Care Retreat for Women – Mount St. Francis
- Aug 11 – 19 | Summer Silent Directed Retreat – FCJ Retreat Centre
- Aug 11-13 | Women’s Weekend Retreat – Mount St. Francis
- Aug 11-13 Weekend Silent Directed Retreat – FCJ Centre
- Aug 14-18 | Byzantine Icon Workshop – St. Stephen Ukrainian Church
- Aug 18 | Always Our Children – Encourage Apostolate retreat – Aspen Ranch Outdoor Education Centre
- Aug 21-27 | Blessing of the Good Road Week Retreat – Mount St. Francis
- Aug 22-25 | Vacation Bible School – Great Big Beautiful Word – FCJ
We acknowledge that Treaty 7 territory, on which we stand, is the ancestral land of the Indigenous Peoples and is common home to everyone in virtue of God our Creator’s gracious gift. Learn more about Residential Schools and our ongoing work in healing and reconciliation in the Diocese of Calgary.
|Subscribe to our mailing list|
We respect your privacy. You will only receive emails from us periodically, and we will not share your information.
You can unsubscribe anytime.